Multiple Facets of Phage Therapy
  ABOUT US CLINICAL PRACTICE DISTRIBUTION CONSULTING Language 

DISTRIBUTION

Phage International is an authorized distributor of bacteriophage preparations produced by Eliava Biopreparations.

Lytic bacteriophages can only kill bacteria - they can not affect other organisms. Therefore phages are generally recognized as safe. However, there are facts about using phages that make it necessary to seek the guidance of experts:

  • Phages are narrow spectrum. This means that a given phage will have efficacy against a relatively small subset of bacterial pathogens. In order to determine if a phage preparation will be effective for a a particular application it is necessary to first perform a sensitivity test. This is a laboratory procedure to correctly match phages to the targeted bacteria. The user will first need to provide a specimen of the bacteria to a qualified microbiology laboratory to determine of commercially available phages will have efficacy. Phage sensitivity varies widely by locale. It is our experience that for infections encountered in global applications on average approximately 40% are sensitive to one or more of six uniquely different phage products. The remaining 60% are resistant - meaning the phages will not be effective. In some regions of the world the percentage is significantly lower, as low as 10%. Therefore, there is a very low probability that the uninformed buyer can simply guess which preparation will work, if at all - even if they know the species of bacteria to be targeted.

  • In order to achieve a result, it is always necessary to work with a professional who understands the protocols and standards of use.

Please contact us for information about becoming an affiliated business partner. If you are a prospective patient or have questions about phage therapy, please contact our clinic.

Phage Distributors

East Bay Biotics
East Bay Biotics is an authorized reseller of a number of biological products including the phage preparations manufactured by Eliava Institute.


Copyright © Phage International, Inc. 2003-2018 ~ All Rights Reserved
23 Railroad Avenue, #355 ~ Danville, CA 94526 ~ 925-984-9446
Privacy Policy ~ Legal Notices